Monday 14 March 2016

Sage what?!

When you think of typical flavours in beers first thoughts are hoppy, malty or bitter with a wide spectrum of different aftertastes such as spicy, coffee, fruity etc. I have tried quite a few different flavour infused beers however had yet to try one infused with sage leaves. So when we saw the Wild Sage Saison 7.2% by Colorado on keg at Colonna & Hunter, Bath, I was really interested in giving it a go.

First impressions of this saison are that it has a nice pale golden colour with a hint of craft haze. On smelling the beer I was hit with the savoury scents of a roast pork dinner which left me salivating for a taste. Sage is the dominant flavour when you try this saison which I expected as it's quite a strong herb. Lemon cuts through the savoury flavour which lifts the beer overall and the sour aftertaste reminded me of a cloudy lemonade. The freshness of this beer highlights the farmhouse style flavours, making it an easy drink.

Although the flavour is strong this is a very drinkable beer and I couldn't help going back for another sip. The balance of flavours within this beer has been well brewed to ensure that the sage does not overpower the fresher notes. This sage saison is going to taste great with pork dishes - well this is a tried and tested classic! However whilst sitting at the bar I know I'm ordering this beer with a side of pork scratchings.

No comments:

Post a Comment