Wednesday 19 July 2017

3 Tap Rooms - 1 City

Following my pub crawl around Bristol my boyfriend and I decided to check out a few of the local brewery tap rooms. The Beer O'clock Show this week held a poll and discussed whether or not pubs would be taken over by tap rooms. It appeared that the results of this showed that whilst tap rooms are increasing in popularity, people still believe that there is a place for pubs in our British beer culture. I visited three tap rooms in Bristol last weekend: Lost & Grounded, Left Handed Giant and Moor, to see what they are all about.



Lost & Grounded was the furthest tap room from the city centre and therefore was not an easy walk. Typically breweries and their tap rooms are found in industrial estates so you really have to make a special trip out to drink there. Good job Bristol has a good network of taxis! We decided to go here first as we had heard about Lost & Grounded's Summer Brewhouse Sessions. The sessions were showcasing a range of beers from Lost & Grounded as well as from invited guest brewers. On this particular weekend Verdant were on the guest taps and we couldn't wait to get stuck in.

We tried a beer made by the hosts called Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy which was a collaboration with Pressure Drop and has to be one of my highlights of this trip. You definitely get the lemon flavours on the nose and in the taste. A great beer to start on as, likes it name, it was such and easy drinker! I also really enjoyed Verdant's I Played Bass on that Tune which had a smooth, hoppy and resinous flavour well suited to my palate and a good mouthfeel that made me keep going back for more. 


I couldn't help but notice how impressive the brewery is. Lost & Grounded's tap room is within the confines of the brewery and so you are able to see all of the equipment and some of the brewing processes. Considering the brewery has only been open since July 2016 they have some very impressive kit. I really enjoyed my first visit here but I just wish it was more easily accessible, especially after an afternoon Summer Session!


A hop back into the taxi and our next destination was Left Handed Giant's brewery and tap room. From my last blog you'll note that I have often been into Small Bar, who boasts LHG beers on their taps, but I have never been to the brewery itself. Again the brewery is in an industrial estate but there is more of a 'hidden garden' feel to it with trees and vines surrounding the site. The inside of the tap room was a mixture of rustic and industrial decor - something I notice is quite a popular theme amongst modern breweries. I immediately noticed that the main part of the brewery is blocked off in a separate room and that the space has been purposely made for a tap room. I was surprised to see only three beers available on tap but I opted for the Lactose Tolerant. A tasty milky sweetness with a deep underlying red wine flavour. Definitely a sipping beer in my opinion.


Within walking distance of LHG is Moor Brewery. More often then not I end up coming here as it is only a short walk from Temple Meads train station. The only problem is that it is in the opposite direction to the city centre so again you have to make a special effort to come here but it is worth it. Moor have 10 keg lines all dispensing their own beers as well as one cask. Claudia was my tipple of choice as I needed something to quench my thirst after our walk over. This beer has the familiar wheat flavours I expect of a Belgian style but if you get the chance, try their PMA - definitely one of my favourites! I have to confess that Moor has helped introduce me to a range of different styles of beers such as porters/stouts/wheat that I ordinarily would not have tried before. The decor in the tap room is very clean and white with their own branding embellishing the walls. Another example of a brewery who have kept their tap room separate from the main brewery. They have also made the most of their outside space by producing a nice urban beer garden.


I feel like Moor have a good example of a modern traditional tap room and beers that compliment that idea. You still get a bit of that 'pub feel' when you are there despite the minimal decor. Despite this I don't believe that the tap room can over take the services of the pub. Each has its own qualities and I will continue to keep drinking in both!  




No comments:

Post a Comment