Wednesday 7 March 2018

Raising a glass to femALES

Recently we are hearing more and more stories of gender inequality, whether it be in the workplace or even down to our food and drink choices. We've heard of women in the beer industry facing discrimination from male colleagues and customers on a daily basis. Stories of food and drink manufacturers targeting the female market have been met with criticism and anger.  I am also no stranger to some discrimination when I have ordered beer. I recall a time where I was refused a beer as it had a high ABV and was given something in a lower percentage. 

As I read about Brew Dog’s idea to speak out about real ethical issues surrounding women's inequality in the beer industry I was initially excited but this was quickly deflated. To combat sexist marketing and gender pay gap they have rebranded Punk IPA but in doing so have become a symbol of what they were trying to fight against. ‘Pink IPA’, although had good intentions, has been let down by its marketing. 

With International Women's Day just around the corner this is a slight blow to women's equality status in the beer industry. All is not lost though as there are breweries out there who are embracing the importance of equality with beer. One example is Wiper And True, one of my local breweries, who have released their ‘XX’ Gooseberry Wheat beer this week to celebrate women's involvement in brewing, past and present. They used a brewing team solely made up of women, and ingredients that give a nod to what historic ‘alewives’ would have had available to them at that time. The branding for this beer is very true to Wiper And True’s style so there is no sexist marketing. This in my view is a good example of it done right, rather than singling women out we are celebrating how far we have come and I can't wait to show my support by trying this beer!

So yes I am female, but I don't identify as a feminist. I eat Doritos and Yorkie chocolate bars. I enjoy beer and I will continue to drink it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment